The cable crossover machine is a favorite among fitness fanatics. It is one of the few exercise machines that can be used to create variation during training and resistance workouts.
The benefits and advantages to using cable crossover machines are endless. But the biggest is probably the fact that you can use it in more positions and angles than other machines. There are a lot of movements that you will not be able to do from simply using free weights.
Cable Crossover machines allow you to keep tension on your muscles, while you work out in different positions. This is why it is seen as a highly versatile commercial training machine. One that can only benefit your brand, and your gym members.
Cable crossover machines are typically large in size and take up a lot of space. But they are worth every inch of floor space used. We look at the best picks in cable crossover machines for 2021.
Table of Contents
1. Cable Crossover Machines Summarized
Walking the floor in any gym, you are guaranteed to find a cable crossover machine. These machines can be used for functional, strength, as well as weight training.
The popular cable crossover machine is also known as a pulley machine. For most trainers and athletes, this is a crucial piece of equipment. It forms part of most professional fitness plans. Especially when it comes to resistance, or weight training workouts.
The cable crossover can easily allow for the same exercises as free-weight training. It offers the same weight and resistance, if not more, than your dumbbells or barbells. Two of the reasons why this machine is so popular, is the motion and constant tension.
The cable crossover machine allows for great motion versatility when it comes to weight training. Because of this characteristic, athletes can focus on targeting specific muscle groups with every move and repetition.
It offers a premium grade, adjustable pulley system. This aids athletes to train their muscles at their preferred height.
The cables on a commercial cable crossover machine are manufactured from high quality, durable materials. It runs through the pulleys on the machine and connects with the weights. This creates the motion that allows for weightlifting during training.
The fact that you can pull on these cables from any direction, makes it a very versatile exercise machine. The cable crossover machine can be used to train different muscle groups in many different ways.
Figure 2: Cables and Pulleys on the Cable Crossover Machine
2. Benefits of the Cable Crossover Machine
There are plenty of benefits when it comes to having a cable crossover machine in your gym. Apart from the fact that it is a convenient exercise machine, it is also super versatile.
Cable machine benefits can be divided into three main categories. Namely, muscle tension, angle variation and grip variety. Let’s look at what these benefits entail.
Continuous Muscle Tension
The cable machine allows you to do almost any exercise you can do using free weights like barbells and dumbells, or any other strength and muscle toning equipment. It is one of the most versatile machines on the market today.
The weight stack offered per machine will vary depending on the size and type of your cable cross machine, but there are always ways with which you can increase the weight on your weight stack for a more strenuous workout.
The cable machine is a great tool for posture correction during deadlifts and squat exercises. It is also great for chest- and shoulder presses, curls, flys, pushdowns, and extensions. Almost any exercise you can think of can be done with the cable crossover machine.
The one advantage the cable crossover machine has over free weights is that it allows you to use a greater variety of angles without losing any tension on your muscles.
The cable crossover machine allows you to adjust the height of your cable pulleys. This helps to remove muscle strain. And it allows you to stand, sit or stretch yourself in any form or direction. Plus, your muscle tension never eases, giving you a great workout, every time.
Many athletes prefer strength training with the cable crossover machine, instead of using free weights. It is an asset in repetitions of row variations, face pulls, or the straight-arm lat pushdowns.
This super exercise machine allows you to choose your distance from the machine. And supports body posture with great cables and pulleys, allowing you to train specific muscle groups at a time.
You can place yourself a meter away from the machine or stand right next to the frame of the machine. You can have your arms as far behind or infront of you as you like or need, to perform your workouts. Many of these arm movements can not be done as effectively with free weights.
Cable crossover machines come with a wide variety of interchangeable handle options. Each attachment offers you the opportunity to train a different muscle group. It also allows for different grips during exercises.
Some of the handle options include, but are not limited to:
- Double or single-grip ropes
- Stirrup handle
- Row handle
- Curl Bar
- Tricep handle
- Revolving straight bar
- Lat bar
- Ankle and thigh straps
- Press/squat bar
The interchangeable handle and grip bars allows you to do a variety of workouts. And you can do them more effectively and a lot more comfortably. Another bonus is the time it takes to change handles or add more grip.
You can easily remove a handle to switch over to a single grip exercise, without losing motion or muscle tension. Simply remove or attach and continue training. And then there is the bonus of no weights crowding your space. Making your routine and workout safer and smoother.
Figure 3: Adjustable grips on the Cable Crossover Machine
3. What to Look for in a Cable Crossover Machine
Not all cable machines will suit your needs. But you are guaranteed to find what you are looking for in our comparison list below.
When shopping for your cable crossover machine your needs, budget and material preferences will play a big role. But the market today offers so many premium quality brands, that you are sure to find what you need.
Before committing to the purchase of your cable crossover machine for your gym, consider the following buyers guide.
You will want to consider the space you have available in your gym, and where you want to put up this machine. Some cable machines are more compact than others. But you would need enough space to set-up and train comfortably.
The list below contains the dimensions of the top picked machines. But it can only help you if you know in advance, what the size and area is that this machine will be placed.
You would also want your machine to fit in with your gym brand and image. And the machine needs to meet your fitness goals.
Premium quality cable machines are pricier than most other fitness equipment. If you are in the market for a durable, high quality machine, prepare to invest anything from several hundred to a few thousand dollars.
As with any other product, the higher the price, the better the quality of the machine, and its added features. Our list below features a variety of options for all budget types. No matter if you are in the market for a more expensive, or a more reasonably priced cable machine.
Each cable crossover machine is uniquely designed to deliver a certain muscle resistance and tension. You might have picked up on machine resistance differences, during training sessions in your gym.
Your crossover cable machines can be divided into two ration categories: The 1:1 ratio machines and the 2:1 ration machines.
Let’s say you are training with a weight stack that is 100 lbs. If your machine is a 2:1 ratio cable crossover machine, it means that you are only lifting 50 lbs. Whereas the same cable crossover machine with a 1:1 ratio, will have you lifting 100 lbs.
Different ratios do not affect the performance or the rating of your machine. Your ratio determines how far and how fast your cables on your crossover machine travels. This is what gives you a higher or lower muscle tension during weight training and the best speed during functional training.
There is a great variety of cable crossover machines on the market.
Some machines are basic and will cover your entry level fitness and weight training goals. Other cable machines offer a number of more complex features. This will enable you to do a great variety of exercises.
Some cable crossover machines include a number of grip and handle bar attachment options. This will enable you to do far more on the machine than just one or two types of exercises. These attachments can be connected and removed easily and conveniently.
Take a look at all the features of the machines listed below. Make a list of your fitness needs to better determine which machine will work for you.
Figure 4: Adjustable weights and tension on the Cable Crossover Machine
4. Types of Commercial Cable Crossover Machines
Commercial cable crossover machines can be divided into two main categories: The single pulley machine, and the double pulley machine.
Single pulley cable crossover machines have the weight stack connected to a single pulley and cable. The full weight of your weight stack is then centralized onto one cable with one muscle tension focus.
The single pulley system is great for tricep pushdowns, rope face pulls, bicep curls and cable upright rows.
Figure 5: Single Pulley Crossover Machine
The double pulley cable crossover machines feature dual cables. These cables are both linked to the same weight stack.
The dual cable divides the tension and muscle load between the two cables. This allows for a great variation of strength and endurance workouts. Most Dual cable machines come with several handle and grip types.
Double pulley cable crossover machines are a great tool for high-intensity, full motion exercises like Overhead cable presses and flys.
Cable crossover machines that offer more than one pulley and cable than one cable will ensure that you have more moveability. And it offers a bigger mechanical advantage to single pulley and cable machines.
Figure 6: Double Pulley Cable Crossover Machine
5. The Best Cable Crossover Machines 2021
Yanre Fitness 61A32 Cable Crossover Machine
Figure 7: Yanre Fitness 61A32 Cable Crossover Machine
Yanre Fitness is boosting more than 20 years of expert manufacturing of exercise equipm commercial gyms and fitness centres across the world.
To maintain its world-class reputation Yanre Fitness only makes use of the highest quality manufacturing techniques, and materials
A similar design to their other prestigious workout equipment, the Yanre 61A32 cable crossover machine inspires greatness. The Yanre cable workout machine is an independent multi gym cable crossover machine. It has dual high/low pulleys that can be fine-tuned. And it offers various connectors with chin-bar options.
The Yanre 61A32 cable crossover machine is a favorite among fitness fanatics and commercial gyms across the globe. It offers a great variety with the fully adjustable pulley and cable system, that welcomes any directional movement and is suited for any height and body type.
The Yanre Fitness dual cable machine was specifically designed for durability, style, safety, and comfort. It accommodates a vast variety of strength training exercises. And is one of the leading multipurpose cable machines on the market.
The amount of movements and exercises you can include in your workout routines with the 61A32 cable crossover machine, is endless. It is great for endurance, strength and muscle toning workouts.
- Gym pulley machines are very popular in any gym facility
- Sleek design of die-casting
- Slide bar for easy and smooth adjustment
- Mainframe adopts 75*118*3.0 semi-elliptical pipe
- Functional area adopts 50*120*3.0 flat oval pipe
- Movement arm adopts 40*80*3.0mm
- Joint pipe is 50*100*3.0 flat oval pipe
- All pipes are Q235 qualified.
- Full shroud, 4mm thickness ABS virgin material
- Durable and eco-friendly.
- Japan-made wire cable, with 6*19+1*75 coated wire
- Can withstand 1400kg strength.
- Wide Variety of Exercises -The Yanre cable weight machine offers endless options for training and can cater to many different kinds of individuals. From resistance training for your entire body to the isolation of particular muscle groups or functional movement, everything is possible with this standing cable crossover.
- Multifunctional Resistance – Keeping your body stable against the machine’s resistance is an added challenge for your core muscles. This makes the cable pulley machine a multipurpose exercising equipment for simultaneous training of different muscle groups.
- Adjustable Pulleys -Dual opposing pulleys allow adjustment for a wide range of workouts – upper body, lower body, and also combinations.
- Cable Routing -To negate any possibility of outside interference, cables have been routed with redirection pulleys at maximum possible places on the station.
- Selector Plates -Every surface of all selector plates has been fully precision-machined. The uppermost plate has self-lubricating bushings that can be replaced.
- Guide Rods -Plated with corrosion-resistant material for further durability and frictionless functioning, the guide rods are precision centerless ground and glossed for added finish.
- Instructions Included -How to use a pulley workout machine? Easily understandable illustrations depict correct usage and muscles worked.
Key Info on the Manufacturer
The main factory for Yanre Fitness, is located in Wuhu, China. It also boasts branches in Qingdao and Nantong. The main sales centers are located in Beijing and Shanghai, and their expert sales teams are always ready to assist you with whatever you may need for your gym.
Yanre Fitness factories cover a combined floorspace of over 50,000 square meters. Their superior R&D center was uniquely designed and built with expert input from exercise physiology, biomechanics, ergonomics, machinery, manufacturing and technology advancement.
They have been focused on producing self-designed, affordable fitness equipment to their customers. Yanre Fitness have created unique movement angles and equipment designs that enable their strength equipment to withstand stringent professional testing.
The equipment manufactured by Yanre Fitness gives a variety of well-designed movement angles. It is a favorite among pro-level fitness trainers and athletes alike.
The Yanre Fitness machines and exercise equipment has proven to withstand more than 8 years of continuous use, without fail or any issues. And they are ready to compete with any other brand on both quality and price.
Inspire Fitness FTX Functional Trainer
Figure 8: Inspire Fitness FTX Cable Crossover Machine
This is one of the most compact cable crossover machines on the market. The Inspire Fitness FTX functional trainer is a great option if you do not have a lot of floor space. It has all the functionalities of a big sized cable machine. But it has a much smaller frame.
You also have the option to use their fitness app that offers two weeks free. There’s lots to like about this cable machine.
- Two 165lb/74 kg weight stacks
- 1:2 resistance ratio
- 10lb/4.5 kg increments
- Heavy-duty steel construction and aesthetic matte black finish
- Includes several attachments and chin-up dipping belt
- Curvy pull-up bar
- Assembled dimensions: 40″W x 54″L x 85″H
- Product weight: 544 lbs/247 kg
- The Inspire Fitness FTX functional trainer offers 165 lbs weight stacks.
- It carries a lower weightage in weight stacks than most other cable crossover machines, but it offers a variety of ways to add additional weight during training sessions.
- This small and compact machine offers more than thirty pulley positions. Offering athletes a large angle and level variety during workouts..
- The curvy pull-up bar is a great add-on and offers an ideal solution for athletes who suffer with, or are recovering from wrist issues, or muscle pains. Or athletes who struggle using the straight handlebars.
- The FTX functional trainer also comes with a Chin-up or dip-belt to add additional resistance to your pull-up workout routine.
- Also offers a triceps rope, D handles, and a curl bar.
- Features added frame hooks, to neatly hang the attachments, increasing safety and cleanliness.
- Compact in size. Takes up less space than normal cable crossover machines.
- Thirty swivel pulley positions for added tension and training variety.
Key info on the manufacturer
Inspire Fitness is well known for their quality brand and durable products. Their slogan, “We eat, breathe, and sleep fitness”, explains a whole lot about the brand and the company.
This manufacturer prides themselves with being more than just a supplier or manufacturer of fitness equipment. They boast a factory and showroom of more than 8000 square feet, featuring all the gym equipment, and fitness apparel you can think of.
Their dedicated teams are ever-ready to answer your queries and assist you with finding the best solutions for your business.
Inspire fitness also brags with a user-friendly mobile app, featuring live and recorded workouts, health and nutritional plans, and much, much more.
Body-Solid Powerline PFT100 Cable Machine
Figure 9: Body-Solid Powerline Pft100 Crossover cable machine
Body-solid is a brand that is well known for their knowledgeable sales team. Their industry expert professionals will work closely with your business to create the most efficient and effective layout for your gym.
Body Solid offers highly customizable and durable equipment. Their machine configurations and accessories can be customized to meet your exact needs.
Their PFT100 cable crossover machine is no different. Looking at the weighted capacity, it might seem smaller than most other cable crossover machines, but do not be fooled. This machine offers an upgrade option. And you can do a great variety of exercises with this, and highly durable machine.
- 180-degree swivel pulleys w/ 20 height notches
- Straight, long pull-up bar
- 20 starting positions
- Dual 160lb weight stacks upgradable to 210 lbs
- 1/2 to 1 weight ratio
- Two adjustable nylon cable attachment handles
- Assembled dimensions: 42″L x 63″W.x 83″H
- Product weight: 476 lbs
- It offers dual 160lb weight stacks.
- Upgradeable to 210 lbs. Enough to please any muscle-head.
- The swivel pulleys can rotate 180 degrees
- Offers great workout versatility
- Offers 20 different adjustable starting positions
- 3.2″ spacing between each starting position.
- Offers a straight pull-up bar with knurling to increase your pulling and curling strength
- Attachable resistance bands for additional training versatility.
- The cable machine also offers adjustable nylon attachments.
Key info on the manufacturer
Body-Solid designs and manufactures premium exercise machines for all shapes and sizes. They have an exceptional touch to design products specific to a key market, like school gyms, Fire rescue workout rooms, or law enforcement training centres.
Their friendly, expert, and helpful sales team is standing ready to answer all your questions and meet your needs.
Ipanda Wall Cable System
Figure 10: Ipanda Wall Cable System
Ipanda is well known for their ‘out-of-the-box’ designs. They not only hold an interesting name for a fitness brand, but also design unique machines and add great fitness solutions to the market.
Their spot on our list of best cable crossover machines is definitely well-deserved. This durable and unconventional cable machine offers you all the exercise varieties of any other cable crossover machine. You can do tricep pushdowns, pull-downs, chin-ups, curl-ups, and many more.
This unconventional design is nothing like the cable crossover machines you would find in your local fitness centre. It is small, compact and a lot less involved than the bigger conventional options on the market. This is one of the main reasons it is also more affordable than most options on this list.
- 20cm length, 50x50mm square tube
- Made from heavy-duty steel
- Single cable pulley arm
- Weight plate holder design
- This unconventional design offers you the option to mount the system onto your gym wall.
- It is ideal for smaller, or corner spaces in your gym.
- It allows you to attach weight plates to the single cable and pulley system, as much as your cable allows, for the desired resistance your athletes want.
- It’s made from thick durable steel
- Does not move around and is not adjustable once mounted on the wall.
- Offers you the option to choose rotating pulleys
- Installing two pulley systems will allow athletes to utilise both arms and muscle groups at the same time.
- Installing this cable crossover machine is fairly easy. You need a sturdy wall or pillar to accommodate your machine mounting and pulley system.
Note that this machine’s height is not adjustable once it is mounted to the wall. But once installed it will allow your gym members to do any strength or weight training exercise possible.
Key info on the manufacturer
Ipanda is well known for their unique and functional designs in exercise equipment. They offer customized design options and can work with you to make their equipment a unique feature in any space inside your gym.
We just love their clever designed wall-mounted cable crossover machines.
FreeMotion Fitness EXT Cable Machine
Figure 11: Freemotion Dual Cable Crossover Machine
The FreeMotion EXT cable system features in the same price and weight class as the above mentioned cable machines. It offers a great variety of additional features for more workout options.
- Workout demonstration panel
- Electrostatically powder-coated for enhanced resilience
- Includes single-grip handles and ankle cuffs
- Assembled dimensions: 60″ L x 113″ W x 84″ H
- Product weight: 925 lbs/419 kg
- Two 210lb weight stacks
- 3 to 1 resistance ratio
- Made with 7 and 11 gauge steel tubing
- Average height and weighted machine.
- Fully adjustable and rotating arms.
- The arms can adjust upward in 12-inch settings and sideways in 9-inch settings.
- Offer exercise and workout versatility.
- Large swivel pulleys that allow you to train in all different directions and angles.
- The weight stacks are 210 lbs each
- The 3-1 cable ratio offers actual weightage is 75 lbs per side for more workout options.
- Offers the option for two people to use the machine at the same time if not doing two-arm movements.
- Spacious and hefty machine weighing 452 kg in solid materials.
- Very versatile and adjustable
- Comes with a fitted workout demonstration panel
Inside info on the manufacturer
As part of the Icon Fitness group, Freemotion Fitness is well known for their innovative designs. They do not do as the Romans do, but rather design new and unique machines, not seen on the market before.
Their brand is quoted with slogans like, “We do things not because everyone else is doing them, but because no one else is doing them.” Freemotion is known for designing and manufacturing some of the best fitness and gym equipment on the market today.
Icon Fitness boasts more than 40 years of experience in the industry and can easily be labeled as one of the top fitness machine brands on the market.
Mikolo Power Cage
Figure 12: Mikolo Multi Function Power Cage Crossover Machine
If you are in the market for something more than just a cable crossover machine, then the Mikolo machine is just the machine for you.
This versatile and durable machine is in a class of its own, and offers a bit more than a conventional cable crossover machine.
- Multi-grip pull-up bars
- Landmine station
- Lat pulldown
- Dipping bars
- J-hooks for squats and shoulder presses
- Seated row footplates
- 14-level adjustable
- 80mm x 40mm steel tubing
- Assembled dimensions: 81.9”L x 67.7”W x 52”H
- Product weight: 260 lbs/117 kg
- Offers a full function cable crossover station
- Separate multi-grip pull-up bars
- Dip handles, a lat pulldown section, and seated row footboards
- J- hooks for barbell squats
- Offers a landmine setup for barbell inserting do rows, presses, and squats
- The landmine station fits 2″ barbells
- Swivels a full 360 degrees
- 14 adjustable height positions
- Allows for training at various height levels
- Also offers plate holders for easy storage
- This machine includes a cable bar, lat pulldown bar, cable handle, and a T-bar
- The cage is built to support up to 1200 lbs
- Full functional workout system
Inside info on the manufacturer
Mikolo is well known for offering great quality products at affordable prices. Their experienced support staff is ready to assist you with your enquiries and business needs.
Commercial Home Gym Cable Machine
Figure 13: Commercial Home Gym Crossover cable machine
This versatile machine offers exactly what the name suggests. It is a commercial grade cable crossover machine that is as good for your home gym as it is for a commercial gym.
- Two 176lb/79 kg weights stacks
- 1:1 weight ratio
- 5kg/11lb weight plates
- Flat oval steel tube construction
- Electrostatic powder-coated and heat cured for durability
- Assembled dimensions: 39″L x 55″W x 89″H
- Product weight: 350 lbs/158 kg
- This machine offers a weight stack of 176 lbs
- Offers 16 levels of weight adjustment in 11 lb increments
- Offers 11 levels of cable pulley adjustment
- Great additional workout benefits with the multi-angled pull-up bars
- The machine is electrostatic powder-coated and heat cured
- Long-lasting and durable
- Manufactured from heavy-duty materials
- Multi-grip pull-up bars
Inside info on the manufacturer
This cable crossover machine can comfortably defend its position in the top cable machine category.
The design is functional and compact and the machine is manufactured by a company that puts quality first, with a price category to match.
6. Famous Last Words
Not all cable crossover machines are the exact same. They have different features and hold different user benefits. But with the great variety of premium quality and durable cable crossover machines on the market, you are sure to find one that will work best in your gym .
By incorporating cable crossover machines in your gym, you will include a larger variety of workouts to your basic weight and resistance training regimes.
A good cable crossover machine can be a great asset, especially to athletes who feel that free weights just aren’t enough.
Related reading: top 10 gym equipment brands in China