Gym Suppliers – Definitive FAQ Guide
Do you already know the pieces of gym equipment that are ideal for your commercial gym? Well, if you do, your work in setting up the gym is halfway done.
The next big step is to identify gym suppliers. The companies that provide quality gym equipment and accessories.
That’s why we came up with this guide that is full of helpful tips. These tips will answer all your questions about gym suppliers.
So, read on to get more information.
Table of Contents
- How do I find international gym suppliers?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying from international gym suppliers?
- How do you choose international gym suppliers?
- How do I verify the legitimacy of gym suppliers?
- Should I buy from single or multiple gym suppliers?
- How can you build a strong relationship with your gym suppliers?
- What are the types of commercial gym suppliers?
How do I find international gym suppliers?
The world has become a global village. So, it is now almost as easy to find international gym suppliers as you would local suppliers.
So are you looking for international gym suppliers to supply inventory for your gym?
Well, there are several ways of going about it.
You can find gym suppliers from trade shows, online marketplaces, and online research.
Here is a detailed breakdown of finding international gym suppliers:
Trade shows and exhibitions
Figure 1: China sports Show (image src: Tz Fitness)
Trade shows are one of the best places to find gym suppliers. They also help you to build relationships with international gym suppliers.
There are two approaches to attending trade shows. You can visit trade shows in your home country to meet international gym suppliers.
Or, you may decide to attend a trade show overseas. Attending trade shows overseas will enable you to interact directly with the international gym suppliers.
In these trade shows, the gym suppliers may have a booth displaying their gym equipment. This becomes an opportunity to get a first-hand demonstration of the gym equipment.
You also have the opportunity of negotiating for discounts.
Several online platforms can link you to potential gym suppliers. The most common are online business-to-business platforms (B2B).
One of the most popular B2B platforms is Alibaba. Alibaba will connect you with international gym suppliers in China.
For instance, Alibaba will connect you to premier international gym suppliers, like Yanre Fitness.
The benefit of using B2B sites is that you can access many gym suppliers. So, you will be able to compare prices between the different gym suppliers.
You can also compare the features between products from different suppliers.
Lastly, you will also benefit from customer reviews on these sites. These reviews will help you get an insight into the equipment before you purchase them.
Distributors and agents of international gym suppliers
Many international gym suppliers may have agents or distributors of their products overseas.
Usually, these agents may have sole rights to sell the products from international suppliers in your country.
So by checking with these agents, you can find a lot of information on the gym suppliers, equipment, and price quotations.
Performing online research can land you many gym suppliers with ease.
You will be taking advantage of the fact that many gym suppliers have official websites with contact information to market their gym equipment.
Trade associations can be a goldmine for finding international gym suppliers.
Generally, trade associations are platforms for suppliers in the same industry. They come together to market their products collectively.
For instance, the China Sporting goods federation will help you find gym suppliers from its list of members.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying from international gym suppliers?
Buying gym equipment from local gym suppliers has logistic advantages. But, many gym owners are also opting to buy from international gym suppliers.
Here are the advantages and disadvantages of buying from international gym suppliers.
- More gym suppliers are available to choose
- Access to technologies that are not locally available.
- Gym suppliers can supply large quantities of gym equipment.
- Low labor costs.
- Access to higher quality equipment compared to local ones.
- High shipping costs, especially if your purchase volumes are low
- Complicated shipping arrangements, especially when the shipment has to cross many borders
- Currency fluctuations may make gym equipment more expensive.
- There can be language and cultural differences that may become an obstacle in the transaction. These differences are apparent when you want information on complex technical issues.
- Many rules and regulations that make an international purchase complex
How do you choose international gym suppliers?
The process of choosing gym suppliers is crucial in ensuring your order requirements are met.
You should ensure that you select gym suppliers that deliver the right order quantities in the desired quality.
In as much as getting a competitive price is important, having reliable suppliers is more crucial.
Ensure your international gym suppliers are reliable in supplying timely quality equipment.
The following are the steps to take when choosing gym suppliers?
- Create a shortlist of gym suppliers
- Assess the shortlisted suppliers pricing, reliability, and stability of their companies
- Where possible, visit the shortlisted gym suppliers to evaluate their business setup.
- Finally, choose the supplier with whom you are willing to build a business relationship.
How do I verify the legitimacy of gym suppliers?
There are several ways of running a check on your gym suppliers before making an order.
Running a background check on your gym suppliers is crucial. It will assure you that they are trustworthy and legitimate business people.
So, before placing an order and making payments, you should do the following:
Creditworthy: Check for the creditworthiness of your supplier. That is, check to see they have both the financial resources to meet your order.
Business registration: Ensure that your gym suppliers have a valid business registration. Your suppliers should have necessary documents that can be verified by appropriate trade agencies.
Quality accreditations: You need to check that your suppliers’ goods have appropriate accreditation for quality and safety.
Ask for samples: Ask for samples so that you can assess the gym equipment’s quality standards.
Get customer references and reviews. Genuine gym suppliers will willingly direct you to some of their satisfied customers.
You can also check for customer reviews on your gym supplier’s website or online business platforms.
Should I buy from single or multiple gym suppliers?
Whether to buy from single or multiple gym suppliers is a dilemma many gym owners have.
Well, there are advantages and disadvantages to both choices.
So, here is a comparison of single versus multiple gym suppliers.
Advantages of buying from a single gym supplier
Having a single gym supplier has benefits. But that is if your supplier is trustworthy and reliable. Here are some of the benefits you will enjoy.
- You can benefit from discounts if you buy exclusively from one gym supplier
- It is easier to build a business relationship with one supplier
- It is easy to create a working system with a single gym supplier
- Fewer transport challenges from a supplier in one location
Disadvantages of buying from a single gym supplier
If you depend on one gym supplier, you may experience challenges. More so if they are not reliable. Here are the disadvantages of buying from a single gym supplier.
- You have a higher risk of getting interruptions to your supplies
- Your gym suppliers may deliver lower quality products once they know you solely rely on them
- The chances of losses due to your supplier not being able to meet your demands are higher
Advantages of buying from multiple gym suppliers
Having multiple gym suppliers will help you spread the risk of loss. So, here are the advantages of buying from many suppliers.
- Having many suppliers ensures that you have alternative supply sources. In case one supplier fails to deliver.
- The risk of enormous losses is less since your supplies are spread out among many gym suppliers.
- Competition among gym suppliers ensures you get quality equipment at competitive prices.
Disadvantages of buying from multiple gym suppliers
- There are higher transport costs if your suppliers are in different countries
- You may end up getting gym equipment of varying quality
- You may not benefit from discounts since your order volumes per gym supplier are low
- Higher chances of experiencing language and cultural barriers
How can you build a strong relationship with your gym suppliers?
There are many ways to build a strong business relationship with your gym suppliers.
But is building this relationship with your gym suppliers necessary?
The quick answer is, yes. A strong business relationship with your gym suppliers is important. It ensures that your supply of gym equipment will always be of high quality.
So, here is an outline of how to maintain a good working relationship with your gym supplier.
- Pay your gym supplier a visit. By visiting them you will have first-hand information about their business setup. For, instance you will be able to know their production or storage capacity.
Also, a face-to-face conversation will help your suppliers understand your gym equipment needs.
- It is also helpful to stay in regular contact with your gym supplier. By so doing you benefit from any updates on their equipment.
- Always inform your suppliers of any changes in your gym business. To enable them to quickly adapt accordingly.
- If you want to build a good working relationship, always make timely communications. So, make your orders in time, and always pay on time.
- As they say scratch my back and I will scratch yours. So, it helps to recommend your friends also to buy from your gym suppliers. In return, your gym suppliers may send some amazing business opportunities your way.
What are the types of commercial gym suppliers?
There are five types of gym suppliers.
But first, let’s describe who is a gym supplier. A gym supplier is any business that provides gym equipment to another person.
There are five different types of gym suppliers. These are the manufacturer, trading company, sourcing agent, wholesaler, and drop shipper.
Here is detailed information on the five types of gym suppliers.
Manufacturer: A manufacturer is a person or business that creates the desired product.
There are several benefits of working directly with a manufacturer. These benefits include:
- The manufacturer offers the lowest price for your product.
- You have an opportunity to customize the products to fit your customers’ needs.
- You have more control over the quality of gym equipment
The main disadvantages of working with the manufacturer are:
- The language barrier. Communication becomes a challenge when the manufacturer does not have good English skills.
- The manufacturer will normally require you to buy quantities of gym products.
Trading companies: The role of the trading company is to link a customer to the manufacturer.
But, the trading company will neither take ownership of the gym equipment nor stock them.
Generally, trading companies work for a commission paid to them by the manufacturer.
The following are advantages of trading companies
- It is easier to communicate with trading companies. As they have sales personnel with good English language skills.
- Trading companies usually have a good relationship with the manufacturer. So you’ll be able to get good discounts with them.
- Trading companies usually work with multiple manufacturers. So they are able to supply different brands of gym equipment.
- Trading companies allow you to make orders with lower quantities of gym equipment.
- Most often traders will not accept responsibility for defective products.
- The buying costs from traders will usually be higher than those from manufacturers.
Sourcing agent: A sourcing agent is an overseas company that helps you to source or buy products in its country.
The sourcing agent plays the role of guiding you through the buying process. The sourcing company:
- Evaluates factories for you
- Gets the best price quotations for you
- Ensures that manufacturing factories understand your product specifications
- Manages the shipping of your products
Drop shippers: Drop shippers are gym suppliers who do not stock any of the products they sell.
Figure 2: Dropshipping supply model (image src: Shopify)
Generally, drop shippers market products on their online store. Once they get an order from a customer, they make a purchase directly from a third party.
The third party is usually a manufacturer. The manufacturer then fulfills the order by shipping the product directly to the customer.
So, the drop shipper never handles the product directly.
Did you find this FAQ guide helpful? If you did, that is awesome. At Yanre Fitness, It is our joy to give you all the information about gym suppliers.
Let us know if you still have questions by contacting us.